Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Santa's elf!

To add to the last blog, teachers also have to be Santa too!! It's been a long evening of wrapping presents and getting their polar express bells done!! With Polar Express day tomorrow and our holiday party on Thursday, I hope I can make it through everything! ahhhh!!

I wanted to share a cute winter writing assignment we did in our classroom. Our curriculum asked us to create a expository writing piece explaining a winter family tradition. Sounds easy huh? Until you get all the hands raised with a question, "What is a tradition?"

 I decided to take this idea and add some sparkle to it! It came out just adorable!

Here  is the final project! In my "Winter Family Tradition Unit" I provide winter paper to write on. However,  I decided to be brave and have the children type their work print on holiday paper. 

I introduced the writing assignment by reading "When the Relatives Came" by Cynthia Rylant. We brainstormed a few ideas and discussed the importance and value of a family tradition. 

First the children needed to fill out the graphic organizer to help brainstorm ideas. There are several graphic organizers to choose from in this unit. Above and below are two different examples.


Students used their graphic organizers to begin their rough draft paper. After conferencing with each child they were able to write their final draft. As I said previously, the unit does contain black and white, writing paper or colored writing paper. 

The best thing about this unit? I included a writing rubric! These always come in handy when the children need to know what is expected of them. 

Click here to get the Winter Family Tadition unit at my TPT store :) 

Hope you all enjoy!!! And PLEASE leave me some feedback so I can see how this unit worked for you!

2 comments:

  1. We read "When the Relatives Came" as well. I love that book!

    ~Diving Into Learning

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project. This unit looks wonderful! =)

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance.

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete